View the City Clerk FAQ here.
The Hiawatha City Clerk's office invites you to learn more about our City government. Our department motto is to "Welcome, assist and serve!" So let the Clerk's office assist you in finding the information you need.
Appointed by the City Council, the City Clerk attends all council meetings and is responsible for duties defined by the Code of Iowa designated by the City Council.
Currently, there are three staff members in the City Clerk's office who are responsible for maintaining all public records, which consists of storage, retention and scanning of official records. In addition to its overall mission of maintaining the official records of the City of Hiawatha, the Office of the City Clerk performs the following duties:
- Prepares for and staffs all city council meetings, public hearings and council action planning sessions
- Processes various types of municipal licenses and permits
- Greets city hall visitors and answers the main telephone console, providing accurate answers to questions and directing callers to the appropriate departments
- Processes and manages all records of appointments to various boards and commissions
- Provides administrative services to the Mayor, City Council and City Administrator
- Publishes all public notices as required by law
- Receives and opens all official bids of the City of Hiawatha
- Performs duties in respect to elections as required by the Code of Iowa and the City Municipal Code
- Receives and process request for public records
- Human Resource management services-payroll functions and benefit programs, aid in hiring process and administrate City policies and procedures
101 Emmons Street
Hiawatha, Iowa 52233
319-393-1515 ext 523