The Goal Setting session was held November 23, 2009 and facilitated by Jeff Schott, Institute of Public Affairs, University of Iowa.
In preparation for the goal identification process, Council and staff were asked to complete a questionnaire in advance. After discussing a long list of accomplishments, including:
- A community contribution of $100,000 for the 2008 Flood victims
- A community approval of a Local Option Sales Tax
- The conveyance of Council and other meetings on cable T.V.
- The Hiawatha Insights Newsletter
- The new City Hall
- The new Fire Truck
- The new Water Lab and Iron Removal System and control center
- The Park improvements
And many more items. A list of new and ongoing activities were identified.
The list of "on-going Priorities", overlap the goals of the Council as future activities to become accomplishments. The ongoing priorities included:
- Tower Terrace Interchange & Corridor
- The Edgewood Road Extension
- Planning for a new Library
- Completing the Planning & Zoning Ordinance updates
- Amending the TIF plan
- Completing a wellhead protection program
- The Town Center Project
- Boyson Trail
- Boyson & Robins Road Interchange
- Continue the Newsletter, Nixle, Website and other communication avenues.
Council goals for the next year include:
- Reconstruction of North Center Point Road
- Annexation issues
- Library Complex land acquisition
- Continue to expand public safety technology e.g. paperless tickets, radio/modern upgrades
The above is a partial list, the full report is available on the City Website www.hiawatha-iowa.com.
An action plan will be developed and acted upon by Council in January.