Violation Reporting

What is a nuisance?

As defined by City Code a nuisance is "whatever is injurious to the senses, or an obstruction to the free use of property, is a nuisance." Nuisances are classified with respect to whether they are public or private nuisances, although a nuisance may be both public and private.

  • A public or common nuisance affects the public, an entire community or any considerable number of persons. It is such an inconvenience or troublesome offense as annoys the entire community and not some particular person or persons.
  • A private nuisance is one to the hurt or annoyance of another with respect to his or her lands, tenements or herediments and is a private wrong and tort to be redressed by private action in equity or at law. In layman's terms it involves only a few people and doesn't pose a public danger.

Common private nuisances are:

  • Trees, bushes or shrubs which are not diseased or dangerous on private property, with limbs hanging over an adjoining property including the leaves, fruit or branches which fall from season to season.
  • Fences under 6' in height on private property, either in the wrong location or in poor repair.

Common public nuisances are:

  • Ponds or pools of stagnant water.
  • Accumulations of refuse, including junked, abandoned or inoperable vehicles.
  • All noxious weeds and other rank growth upon public or private property including vines, brush, diseased trees or objectionable vegetation which constitutes a health, fire or safety hazard.
  • All snow and ice not removed from public sidewalks twelve hours after the snow and ice has ceased being deposited thereon.
  • All trees, hedges, billboards or other obstructions which prevent persons from having a clear view of traffic approaching an intersection from cross streets in sufficient time to bring a motor vehicle driven at reasonable speed to a full stop before the intersection is reached.
  • All limbs of trees which are less than 8' above the surface of any public sidewalk or street.
  • All buildings and structures which have been damaged by fire, decay or otherwise to an extent exceeding on-half their original value and which are so situated as to endanger the public.
  • All use or display of fireworks except as permitted by this code.
  • All loud or unusual and unnecessary noises.
  • Maintaining a violation of the zoning ordinance.
  • Accumulations of animal feces.

What are my responsibilities as a property owner or occupant?

Living in close proximity to other individuals we have a responsibility to respect the rights of others as well as to maintain the appearances and maintenance of our residences and real property. We also have a very important responsibility to maintain the Right of Way portions of our properties. This would include keeping vegetation out of the corner visual clearance at intersections and also vegetation encroaching on or over sidewalks and streets, clearing of snow, ice and yard waste from sidewalks and maintenance of sidewalks. Failure to maintain these public ways could result in legal actions against you by private citizens should they become injured due to some neglect on your part.

Who do I contact about nuisance issues?

Any city department can take a citizen request but for specific information refer to the following list. If you need to report a nuisance or violation please contact the appropriate department using the contact information listed below.

To contact a department directly, contact information can be found here.