The Hiawatha Fire Department is made up of mostly volunteer members, and is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Paid staff are at the station Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM. Outside of that time, Volunteer firefighters may or may not be at the station.
No, all members have the same training requirements. The fire department meets for medical training on the second Sunday of the month at 7PM. Fire Training is held at 7 PM on the fourth Tuesday of the month.
The majority of Hiawatha firefighters are trained as Emergency Medical Technicians, and some are trained Paramedics. Their primary purpose is to support our ambulance personnel in providing critical life saving techniques such as rescue breathing, CPR and/or defibrillation. They also assist with moving patients up and down stairs.
Besides providing the medical assistance to patients, the fire crew also is responsible to stabilize the vehicles and secure any hazards. Automobile accidents can present with many hazards such as ruptured fuel tanks and/or the presence of hazardous materials. Firefighters are also trained in extricating trapped occupants from their vehicle.
The Fire Department responds based on worst case scenario. Although 99 times out of 100, all that help may not be needed, on the 100th time, the situation could depend on having enough help. And often, being able to deliver a large number of resources quickly prevents a situation from becoming out of hand.
You should immediately leave. Do not operate any appliance or light switch, and donâ€™t attempt to shut anything off. Call 9-1-1 from outside your house or from a neighbors.
The burning of trash, debris, or leaves is prohibited. Only recreational fires are allowed in town. They can be no larger than 36 inches, have only clean wood, be attended at all times, and at least 25 feet from the nearest structure. The fire department has the authority to extinguish any fire if it is causing a nuisance in the opinion of the responding fire crew.
Residents of Hiawatha are not able to get burn permits. Residents who live outside of the city limits of Hiawatha and Cedar Rapids, in unincorporated areas of linn county, may get a burn permit through the Linn County Health Department, online at http://www.linncleanair.org/Default.aspx.
A temporary cooking pit (Not a grill) is considered a recreational fire. It must be attended at all times, be no larger that 36 inches, and at least 25 feet from any structure. You must also have a way to extinguish the fire readily available. (fire extinguisher or garden hose, for example).
To schedule a fire drill, contact the Hiawatha Fire Dept at 319-393-4180 during regular office hours and ask to schedule a visit.
The Fire Inspector looks for all fire and life safety hazards as well as fire alarm systems, fire suppression systems and occupancy type and loads.
The smoke detector should be UL listed with both 120 volt and battery back up and should be placed on every level and in every room used for sleeping. You should avoid the kitchen, garage, and bathroom areas as they tend to false alarm more.
No. For assistance filling your pool contact the Hiawatha Water Department at 319-393-5556
To obtain a permit, contact the Hiawatha Municipal Utilities Department at 319-393-5556 during regular office hours.
Fireworks are normally illegal, with the exception of sparklers and snakes. Large Fireworks are allowed only with a PERMIT. Fireworks permits for shows such as the Hog Wild Days require professional pyrotechnics technicians, extensive planning, and additional insurance.
Yes, there is a charge for all ambulance transports and services when rendered. Almost all insurance companies will cover emergency ambulance transports. If an ambulance is called for you and, after assessment, is determined unnecessary there will be no charge in most cases.
We are more than willing to work with you on the balance of your claim. All we ask is that you contact our billing specialist to make arrangements.
We do submit insurance claims if we have the appropriate information. We file Medicare, Medicaid and private insurance. We are required to have a signature from you or a family member before we are able to file your claim. If we are unable to obtain this signature during the call, we will mail a form to you asking for your signature and some basic insurance information.
You may call the Hiawatha Fire Department at 319-393-4180 for any questions regarding an ambulance bill.
You may contact the Hiawatha Municipal Utilities Department at 319-393-5556 during regular office hours.
Contact Fire Department at 319-393-4180 during regular office hours to request a vehicle. If you are holding a Block Party, contact the City of Hiawatha at 319-393-1515. The permit required for conducting a Block Party includes a request section for the Fire and Police Departments.
The problem is usually the result of a weak battery. Replace with a fresh battery as recommended by the manufacturer. It is recommended to change the batteries in all smoke detectors at least once a year. There is a reminder program "Change Your Clocks, Change Your Battery" every year in the fall at the change of Daylight Savings Time.
First, try cleaning the unit with a vacuum cleaner. Dust particles may, and often do, set off false alarms. If that does not work, the unit may need to be relocated. It could be too close to the kitchen, bathroom, or heat register. If that is not the case, it may be defective and should to be replaced. Consult the installation instructions. If you have any additional questions please feel free to contact Fire Department at 319-393-4180 during regular office hours.
You may arrange a tour of the Fire Department by contacting the fire department at 319-393-4180 during regular office hours.
You may call the Hiawatha Fire Department by phone at 319-393-4180 or email the staff.
Serve our community and join the Hiawatha Fire Department.
Keep our community safe and learn more about preventing fires in Hiawatha.
Access relevant links and fire/ambulance resources here.
Have a question? We have an answer.
Non-emergency contact information for Fire Department staff.