The City of Hiawatha is seeking homeowners who are interested in applying for a grant up to $25,750 to make improvements to their homes.
- Property must be located in Hiawatha within targeted area.
- Property must be taxed as real property.
- Property cannot be in the 100-year flood plain.
- Applicants must own the property.
- The home must be your primary residence.
- Applicant must meet income requirement for household size.
- Applicant must be willing and able to occupy the home as their primary residence for 5 years if receiving less than $15,000 in assistance, or 10 years if receiving $15,000 or more.
- Income limits range from $50,050 for one resident to $94,400 for a household of eight.
Eligible repairs are repairs that improve the exterior appearance of the property, correct code violations, address health and safety issues, or extend the useful life of the property. Examples include:
- Roofs and gutters
- Soffits and fascia
- Windows and doors
- Porch, stair, and deck repairs to address deterioration
- Other repairs that are necessart to meet local codes or address health and safety as determined by program inspector
Funds will be provided as a forgivable loan and fully forgiven at the end of the 5 or 10 year term.
Applications must be complete to be accepted and will be processed on a first-come, first-qualified basis. The City’s application to the Iowa Finance Authority is due by October 31, 2022. It is expected that the City will be notified about program funding in late 2022 or early 2023. Homeowners will be notified if funding is awarded.