5 “To Do’s” before Vacationing this Winter

Just a few friendly suggestions to our vacationing and snowbird residents from the Water Department:

  1.  Be sure to contact the Water Department if you are a snowbird and will be away for an extended period of time to make arrangements to have your water bill forwarded, paid in advance, or held for your return. The Post Office does not forward the water postcard bill.
  2. When you plan to be out of town for an extended period of time, it’s a good idea to have someone check on your house to be sure you don’t have any running water within the house, for example a running toilet.
  3. To avoid a running toilet, it’s a good idea to turn the water control valve to your toilet off. This will help to prevent it from running while out of town.
  4. Check your water heater for a “vacation mode” setting or turn to a lower setting.
  5. It’s always a good idea to check any manufacturing literature for water heating or softening units.

But, please take caution as the Water Department is not responsible for any home devices that may require water at all times. Be sure to contact the Water office at 319-393-5556 for any questions or concerns.